Monday, June 13, 2011

Every Charm tells a story - Artbeads Blog challenge




Artbeads sent a new blogging challenge to its blog partners titled "What's old is new again" For this theme we were asked  to seek inspiration from the past by incorporating old, vintage or antique items into our designs and combine them with modern elements such as Swarovski crystals, Glass, Resin, etc. Each piece needed to have at least one old element; a family heirloom, vintage cameo, an interesting bead, pendant or item you found in an antique shop, an old key, photo or any unique element of the past. We could even re-use an old jewelry piece and ‘borrow’ items from.

The challenge came at a time that was both good and bad for me. I was in the process of going through the house, room by room, and drawer by drawer. As I sifted through 31 years of accumulation I was trying to decide what to keep and what would no longer be useful. I had a sterling charm bracelet and several necklaces with sterling charms. Each charm on the bracelet and each charm on each necklace had meaning: the Nantucket basket charm that I bought on a vacation in Nantucket, the painters palette to symbolize my interest in painting, the thimble and scissors given to me because I sew and have made quilts in a former life. I ordered a new charm in memory of out cat Annabelle, the Sterling Silver Angel Kitty Charm http://beads.artbeads.com/search?w=charms  and two  kinds of seed beads 15/0 Metallic Hematite Hex Cut    TOHO™ Bead Round Hybrid 8/0 Marbled Hematite AB. http://www.artbeads.com/delicas-seed-beads.html  I also had a pin that was one of my first pieces of jewelry. It had ivory colored flowers wired to it. Over the years, several of the flowers had gone missing. I ordered tiny Swarovski crystels (5000 2mm Faceted Round Black Diamond) http://www.artbeads.com/swarovski-5000.html serve as the centers of the flower. to

My finished results are pictured The tiny 15 hex cut seed beads were perfect for the chains of the necklace that I made. The hex cut reflects the light and makes that strands sparkle. The finish on the marbled 8o beads reflects the colors I wear most often. I created two strands with charms. For the third strand I restung a simple silver necklace that I had. This third strand is removable. I plan on beading some more chains that I can add to the two charm chains so I have different looks.

The Swarovski crystals were perfect for the center of the flowers. I added some green-gold megatamas that I had in my stash to make a carpet for the flowers and to fill in the blank spaces.

These two pieces did not require alot of beading, but they resulted in pieces that I will wear often, with many happy memories that go along with them. I thank ArtBeads for the opportunity to participate in their blog program, and I was delighted with the items I received.

 **Disclaimer I have received these products free of charge by Artbeads.com. I am honestly reviewing the products and have not been paid for my endorsement as it pertains to the products received.**

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne,
    ...the folowers are a great idea!!! I love it.

    Zdenka

    ReplyDelete